RECIPE: Tagine of lamb with quince!
Published by Bianca Wilshin - 6th Jun 2019
Winemaker Brian Fletcher is notorious for his mouthwatering recipes which he perfectly pairs with his delicious wines. Below are a few of his specialties:
- Slow-cooked beef & pancetta Ragu paired with his 2018 Merlot
- Barbecue Steak recipe paired with his 2017 El Cid Tempranillo
- Leg of lamb with lemon, garlic, & thyme paired with his 2017 Shiraz 2017
Brian is now back with a tasty Tagine of lamb with quince recipe!
Here’s a good recipe that is about as close as I can get to the essence of Middle Eastern food as I experienced it. In my five years making wine between Sicily, Puglia and Tunisia, this dish probably stands out as one that evokes all those memories and life adventures. It’s pretty versatile and I think works well in Autumn and Winter.
TAGINE OF LAMB WITH QUINCE
750 g lamb on the bone, preferably leg, cut into large chunks
2 Spanish onions, peeled and grated
half teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
half teaspoon saffron strands
1 stick cinnamon
600 ml of water
2 large quinces
2 teaspoons runny honey
half teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Place the lamb, grated onion, butter, ginger, pepper, saffron, and a stick of cinnamon in a heavy pan with a lid. Place over a gentle heat and cook for 10 minutes. stirring regularly, until the butter has melted, and the spices start to give off their aroma – the meat should not brown. Add the water, bring to a simmer, cover and leave to cook for 45 minutes, until the meat is tender. At this stage, add salt to taste.
Cut each quince into 8 pieces and remove the core but do not peel. Drop the quince into the pan and stir in the honey and ground cinnamon (you may need to add a little more water — the quince should be just covered). Continue to simmer for 30 minutes, until the quince is tender.
Recipe from: Tastes of North Africa by Sarah Woodward
Cheers, Brian Fletcher
- Follow Brian Fletcher on the Naked Wines website for more tasty recipes and behind the scenes updates from his Margaret River winery
- Invite a friend to join you as an Angel. They’ll receive $100 off their first case, and you’ll get a little extra credit in your Naked Wines piggy bank. Everyone’s a winner!
- Join the winemaking revolution and become an Angel today! Our customers, called Angels, support independent, Australian and New Zealand winemakers in exchange high quality and affordable wine.